Prep time: 10-12 minutes
Cooking time: 26-30 minutes
Skill level: Easy Peasy
Recipe by: Seafish
A classic chowder recipe with the addition of lovely kippers
- 300g kipper fillets
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 150g diced pancetta
- 300g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 reduced-salt fish stock cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 200g can sweetcorn in water, drained
- 2tbsp fresh chives
- 2tbsp parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the leek and pancetta and cook over a moderate heat for 2-3 minutes until the leeks start to soften. Stir in the potatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in 600ml boiling water, crumble in the stock cube, add the bay leaf and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the milk, sweetcorn and half the chives and parsley. Use a fork to break the kippers into chunky pieces and add them to the soup. Bring the soup to the boil, then immediately remove the pan from the heat to prevent the kippers from overcooking. Season with pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with the remaining herbs and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Fish is the Dish. See more recipes at www.fishisthedish.co.uk